2013年12月22日日曜日

General house cleaning and practicing dan sha ri (断捨離)

As one of practice of my family is general house cleaning in the end of year. Most probably all family members are required to join this event. Idea of this clean up is for preparing to welcome toshigami (God of shinto) and start new year on new note.

It was seasonal tradition in Japan. Duster and broom are used to be typical tools for this. We cover our head with scarf or towel and mouth with mask then, fling dust off from ceiling, ramp shade and walls. We do clean the rooms completely. Family members are assigned to the place to clean. Nowadays I haven't seen this family event much. One of the reasons is technological advantages. The research has been done by marketing research company Intage (2006).

However, there are many information regarding general house cleaning. How to schedule this, tips, tools, and throw. Especially, dan sha ri (断捨離)- to reduce unnecessary stuffs from our life to bring harmony to our life - became a sort of trend and it goes with general clean up. This word was introduced in the book and awarded the grand prize in the annual buzzwords-of-the-year contest in 2010.

Origin of the word came from yoga practice and it was applied to daily life. Dan (断) means to refuse unnecessary stuffs coming to us. Sha(捨)means to throw away unnecessary stuffs in our house. Sha(捨)means to leave ourselves from love of things.

I totally agreed with this because we have things more than we need. But one simple question remains. How are person who grow up highly consuming society accustomed not purchasing stuffs? My observation is easy to throw things up than to refuse to buy things.

In my experience, letting things out and refusing unnecessarily things were not so bad. After I left my hometown, I move one to another places. Technically I could not own stuffs except few selected items. Saddest moment of giving up was to sell or give away one shelf of books I have in Japan before I left there because no strange to save and not bring to abroad. But all these old book might have blocked new idea to come to me. If these things are necessaries in my life, it will come back.

Today, I did general clean up here in the temporary house and felt refreshed. I hope my new year will bring me new learning and experiences.




0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿